Christina Chung-Lun Wang, MD
Investigator, LA BioMed
Professor of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Assistant Dean, Clinical and Translational Science, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Associate Director, UCLA Clinical and Translational Science Institute at Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
Male Reproductive Medicine and Biology, Male Contraception, Androgens, and the cytoprotective peptide Humanin
Research DescriptionDr. Wang is an internationally recognized investigator in male reproductive medicine and biology, leading the efforts to develop a safe, effective and reversible hormonal male contraceptive and optimal methods of male hormone replacement therapy and new androgen replacement for hypogonadal men. Her lab studies the mechanisms and signal pathways of germ cell apoptosis, the hormonal regulation of spermatogenesis, reproductive toxicology, animal models for Klinefelters’ syndrome, hormonal measurements and semen analyses methods.
Additionally, her lab is currently focused on the cytoprotective action of the peptide, humanin, to prevent onco-infertility and cardiotoxicity induced by chemotherapy occurring in cancer survivors.
- MB, BS, 1968, University of Hong Kong, Pok Fu Lam, Hong Kong
- MD, 1974, University of Hong Kong, Pok Fu Lam, Hong Kong
- FRACP, 1975, Royal Australian College of Physicians, Sydney, Australia
- FRCP, 1988, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow, U.K.
Recent and/or Significant Publications
- Wang C, Festin MP, Swerdloff RS. Male Hormonal Contraception: Where Are We Now? Current obstetrics and gynecology reports. 2016; 5:38-47. NIHMSID: NIHMS759640, PubMed [journal] PMID: 26949570, PMCID: PMC4762912
- Piotrowska K, Wang C, Swerdloff RS, Liu PY. Male hormonal contraception: hope and promise. The lancet. Diabetes & endocrinology. 2016; NIHMSID: NIHMS782461 PubMed [journal] PMID: 26915313, PMCID: PMC4993687
- \Matthew J. Budoff, MD; Susan S. Ellenberg, PhD; Cora E. Lewis, MD, MSPH; Emile R. Mohler III, MD; Nanette K.Wenger, MD; Shalender Bhasin, MD; Elizabeth Barrett-Connor, MD; Ronald S. Swerdloff, MD; Alisa Stephens-Shields, PhD; Jane A. Cauley, DrPH;Jill P. Crandall, MD; Glenn R. Cunningham, MD; Kristine E. Ensrud, MD, MPH; Thomas M. Gill, MD; Alvin M. Matsumoto, MD;Mark E. Molitch, MD; Rine Nakanishi, MD; Negin Nezarat, MD; Suguru Matsumoto, MD; Xiaoling Hou, MS; Shehzad Basaria, MD; Susan J. Diem, MD, MPH; ChristinaWang, MD; Denise Cifelli, MS; Peter J. Snyder,MD: Testosterone Treatment and Coronary Artery Plaque Volume in Older Men With Low Testosterone. JAMA. 2017;317(7):708-716. PMID: 28241355
- Snyder PJ, Bhasin S, Cunningham GR, Matsumoto AM, Stephens-Shields AJ, Cauley JA, Gill TM, Barrett-Connor E, Swerdloff RS, Wang C, Ensrud KE, Lewis CE, Farrar JT, Cella D, Rosen RC, Pahor M, Crandall JP, Molitch ME, Cifelli D, Dougar D, Fluharty L, Resnick SM, Storer TW, Anton S, Basaria S, Diem SJ, Hou X, Mohler ER 3rd, Parsons JK, Wenger NK, Zeldow B, Landis JR, Ellenberg SS. Effects of Testosterone Treatment in Older Men. The New England Journal of Medicine. 2016; 374(7):611-24. PubMed [journal] PMID: 26886521
- Ayoub R, Page ST, Swerdloff RS, Liu PY, Amory JK, Leung A, Hull L, Blithe D, Christy A, Chao JH, Bremner WJ, Wang C. Comparison of the single dose pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, and safety of two novel oral formulations of dimethandrolone undecanoate (DMAU): a potential oral, male contraceptive. Andrology. 2017;5:278-285.
- Jia Y, Yee JK, Wang C, Nikolaenko L, Diaz-Arjonilla M, Cohen JN, French SW, Liu PY, Lue Y, Lee WP, Swerdloff RS. Testosterone Protects High Fat/Low Carbohydrate Diet Induced Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Castrated Male Rats Mainly via Modulating ER Stress. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2017:ajpendo.00124.2017.
- Lue Y, Swerdloff R, Wan J, Xiao J, French S, Atienza V, Canela V, Bruhn KW, Stone B, Jia Y, Cohen P, Wang C. The Potent Humanin Analogue (HNG) Protects Germ Cells and Leucocytes While Enhancing Chemotherapy-Induced Suppression of Cancer Metastases in Male Mice. Endocrinology. 2015;156:4511-21.
- Lue Y, Gao C, Swerdloff RS, Hoang J, Avetisyan R, Jia Y, Rao M, Ren S, Atienza V, Yu J, Zhang Y, Chen M, Song Y, Wang Y, Wang C. Humanin Analogue (HNG) Enhances the Protective Effect of Dexrazoxane against Doxorubicin-induced Cardiotoxicity. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol.2018. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 29775411