Charles Grob, MD
Investigator, LA BioMed
Professor of Psychiatry & Biobehavioral Sciences and Pediatrics, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Director, Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center.
Psychiatric research with hallucinogens
Research DescriptionDr. Grob's clinical interests include mood and anxiety disorders, as well as the self-medication hypothesis of substance abuse as it applies to substance abuse. His research has included the first FDA approved Phase 1 study of the physiological and psychological effects of MDMA (3,4-methlyenedioxymethamphetamine), a multi-national, collaborative study of the Amazonian plant hallucinogen decoction, ayahuasca, in Brazil and a pilot investigation of the safety and efficacy of psilocybin in the treatment of anxiety in adult patients with advanced-stage cancer. His most recent research has examined the safety and efficacy of an MDMA treatment model with adult autistics with severe social anxiety.
- BS, 1975, Columbia University, New York, NY
- MD, 1979, State University of New York, Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY
Recent and/or Significant Publications
- Grob, C.S, Danforth, A.L, Chopra, G.S, Hagerty, M.C, McKay, C.R, Halberstadt, A.L. and Greer, G.R. Pilot study of psilocybin treatment for anxiety in patients with advanced-stage cancer. Archives of General Psychiatry 68:71-78, 2011.
- Grob, C.S, Bossis, A.P. and Griffiths, R.R. Use of the classic hallucinogen psilocybin for treatment of existential distress associated with cancer: in B. Carr and J. Steel (Eds.), Psychological Aspects of Cancer. New York, Springer, pp. 291-308, 2013.
- Grob, C.S. The psychology of ayahuasca: in R. Metzner (Ed.), The Ayahuasca Experience: A Sourcebook on the Sacred Vine of Spirits. Rochester, Vermont, Park Street Press, pp. 63-93, 2014.
- Danforth, A.L, Struble, C.M, Yazar-Klosinski, B. and Grob, C.S. MDMA-assisted therapy: a new treatment model for social anxiety in autistic adults. Progress in Neuropsychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry, 64:237-249, 2016.
- Mithoefer, M.C, Grob, C.S. and Brewerton, T.D. Novel psychopharmacological therapies for psychiatric disorders: psilocybin and MDMA. Lancet Psychiatry 3:481-488, 2016.
- Hendricks, P.S. and Grob, C.S. Classic psychedelics and rational suicide in the elderly: exploring a re-emerging treatment paradigm. In R.E. McCue and M. Balasubramaniam (Eds.), Rational Suicide in the Elderly: Clinical and Psychosocial Aspects. New York, Springer Science, pp. 203-210, 2016.
Nichols, D.E, Grob, C.S. and Greer, G.R. Addressing the need for rigor in the rebirth of hallucinogen research. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 170:208, 2016
- Bossis, A.P. and Grob, C.S. (Eds.). Journal of Humanistic Psychology, Special Series on Psychedelics. Volume 57, 2017,
- Grob, C.S. and Bossis, A.P. Humanistic psychology, psychedelics and the transpersonal vision. Journal of Humanistic Psychology, 57:315-318, 2017.
- Nichols, D.E. and Grob, C.S. Is LSD toxic? Forensic Science International 284:141-145, 2018