Wai-Nang Lee, MD
Professor of Pediatrics, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Director of Biomedical Mass Spectrometry Laboratory, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
Obesity and Diabetes
Research DescriptionDr. Lee's research involves the measurement of metabolic fluxes and cellular homeostasis through metabolic regulation. In order to measure metabolic fluxes, his laboratory has developed many stable isotope techniques particularly the analysis of mass and positional isotopomers using mass spectrometry. The application of stable isotope and isotopomer analysis allows for the development of tracer-based metabolomics which measures input and output of metabolic substrates in cellular metabolism
- BA, 1966, University of California, Berkeley
- MD, 1971, Stanford University
- MBA, 1986, California State University, Northridge
Recent and/or Significant Publications
- Paul Lee WN, Wahjudi PN, Xu J, Go VL. Tracer-based metabolomics: concepts and practices. Clin Biochem. 2010 Nov;43(16-17):1269-77. Review.
- Boros LG, Torday JS, Paul Lee WN, Rehan VK. Oxygen-induced metabolic changes and transdifferentiation in immature fetal rat lung lipofibroblasts. Mol Genet Metab. 2002 Nov;77(3):230-6.
- Vo TD, Paul Lee WN, Palsson BO. Systems analysis of energy metabolism elucidates the affected respiratory chain complex in Leigh’s syndrome. Mol Genet Metab. 2007 May;91(1):15-22.