LA Biomed is an independent nonprofit research institute with more than 100 translationally focused researchers who are identifying and solving problems they experience first-hand in clinics at the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center.
We have over 600 issued and pending patents and our innovations have led to ten start-up companies in the past five years.
LA Biomed technologies have helped to generate numerous global medical breakthroughs including:
- The invention of the modern cholesterol test
- The conception and development of the modern-day US paramedic model of emergency patient care
- The first isolation and administration of a lung surfactant to treat premature babies
- The FDA-approved drug Aldurazyme® for Mucopolysaccharidosis, marketed by BioMarin
- The development of low-cost antiseptic eye drops that prevented blindness in thousands of newborns in third-world countries
- An FDA-approved drug to treat submental fullness
Our innovative technologies are being commercially developed by various companies; examples include:
- Novadigm is developing the first vaccine candidate (Phase II completed) to provide protection against both bacterial and fungal infection such as MRSA and candida
- Emmaus Lifesciences has a drug candidate (Phase III clinical trials completed and a New Drug Application filed) for the treatment for chronic pain associated with sickle-cell anemia
- QT Medical is developing revolutionary heart monitoring medical devices
- SyneuRx has multiple therapeutics in clinical stage development for central nervous system disorders
We are actively seeking to build on our history of successful collaborations with companies both large and small.
LA Biomed has dozens of technologies available for partnering across therapeutic, medical device, software, and diagnostic tool spaces.
Please search our available technologies below and reach out to us to learn more, thank you.