Ronald Swerdloff, MD
Chief, Division of Endocrinology, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
Professor of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Male Reproductive Medicine and Biology; Androgen Drug Development; Protective Effects of the Peptide Humanin
Research DescriptionDr. Swerdloff’s research includes basic investigations, clinical trials, and translational studies. His research interests involve many aspects of basic male reproductive physiology and clinical reproductive investigation. Ongoing work includes the regulation of spermatogenesis, regulation of the androgen receptor gene, neuroregulation of gonadotropin secretion, development of male contraceptive agents, pharmacology of androgen hormones, regulation of spermatogenesis hormonal function in the testis, ethnic differences in the reproductive endocrine system, role of 5-alpha reduced androgens in the prevention and treatment of cognitive dysfunction, sexual dysfunction, impaired vitality, osteoporosis and frailty in elderly men, factors influencing male fertility, molecular basis and neurobiology of cognitive dysfunction in Klinefelter's Syndrome, sex steroid effects on cognition and neurodegenerative disorders, and mutant mouse models in reproductive biology, stem cell transplantation in the testes. Recent studies involve protection of normal tissue from the adverse effects of chemotherapy including onco-infertility, granulocytopenia, alopecia, brain dysfunction and cardiotoxicity.
Dr. Swerdloff is the Director of a World Health Organization Collaborative Center in Reproduction, and a NIH Contraceptive Clinical Trial Center. He is the site PI for the T Trial for testosterone efficacy in older hypogonadal men.
- MD, 1962, University of California, San Francisco
Recent and/or Significant Publications
- Lue YH, Swerdloff RS, Wan J, Xiao J, French F, Atienza V, Canela V, Bruhn K, Jia Y, Cohen P, Wang C: The Potent Humanin Analogue (HNG) Protects Leukocytes and Germ Cells while Enhancing Chemotherapy-induced Suppression of Metastatic Lung Melanoma in Mice Cancer Research. Endocrinology. 2015 Dec;156(12):4511-21.
- Cunningham G, AJ Stephens-Shields, RC Rosen, C Wang, S S Ellenberg, A Matsumoto, S Bhasin, ME Molitch, JT Farrar, D Cella, E Barrett-Connor, JA Cauley, DCifelli, JP Crandall, KE Ensrud, L Fluharty, TM Gill, CE Lewis, M Pahor, SM Resnick, TW. Storer, RS Swerdloff, S Anton, S Basaria, S Diem, V Tabatabaie, X Hou, PJ Snyder: Association of Sex Hormones with Sexual Function, Vitality and Physical Function of Symptomatic Older Men with Low Testosterone Levels at Baseline in the Testosterone Trials. J Clin Endo & Metabol. 2015. 100(3): 1146-55. PMID 25548978. PMICD: 4333035
- Jia Y, A Ohanyan, YH Lue, RS Swerdloff, PY Liu, P Cohen, C Wang: The effects of humanin and its analogues on male germ cell apoptosis induced by chemotherapeutic drugs. Apoptisis 2015 Apr 20(4) 551-61 PMID: 25666707 PMCID: 4351164
- Snyder PJ, Ellenberg SS, Cunningham GR, Matsumoto AM, Bhasin S, Barrett-Connor E, Gill TM, Farrar JT, Cella D, Rosen RC, Swerdloff RS, et al: Erratum: The testosterone Trials: Seven coordinated trials of testosterone treatment in elderly men (Clincial Trials 2014) Clinical Trials 12(3):291 01 January 2015