Ronald J Oudiz, MD
Professor of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Director, Liu Center for Pulmonary Hypertension, LA BioMed Research Institute at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
Pulmonary Hypertension, Exercise Physiology, Cardiac Imaging
Research DescriptionDr. Oudiz has participated in several trials of innovative medical treatments for pulmonary hypertension, many of which are still ongoing. Dr. Oudiz's research focus has been to describe the physiologic abnormalities that are caused by pulmonary hypertension by using measurements of lung gas exchange during exercise and to study exercise rehabilitation as a treatment modality for patients with pulmonary hypertension.
Dr. Oudiz served as chair of the criteria committee for the Pulmonary Hypertension Association’s Pulmonary Hypertension Care Center Initiative. The initiative is establishing a program for accreditation of centers with special expertise in pulmonary hypertension, particularly pulmonary arterial hypertension, to raise the overall quality of care and outcomes in patients.
- BA, 1985, University of California, San Diego
- MD, 1989, University of Southern California
Recent and/or Significant Publications
- Galiè N, Barberà JA, Frost AE, Ghofrani HA, Hoeper MM, McLaughlin VV, Peacock AJ, Simonneau G, Vachiery JL, Grünig E, Oudiz RJ, Vonk-Noordegraaf A, White RJ, Blair C, Gillies H, Miller KL, Harris JH, Langley J, Rubin LJ, AMBITION investigators. Initial Use of Ambrisentan and Tadalafil in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. N Engl J Med 2015;373:834-44.
- Vonk-Noordegraaf A, Haddad F, Chin KM, Forfia PR, Kawut SM, Lumens J, Naeije R, Newman J, Oudiz RJ, Provencher S, Torbicki A, Voelkel NF, Hassoun PM. Right heart adaptation to pulmonary arterial hypertension: physiology and pathobiology. J Am Coll Cardiol 2013;62:D22-33.
- Lewis GD, Bossone E, Naeije R, Grünig E, Saggar R, Lancellotti P, Ghio S, Varga J, Rajagopalan S, Oudiz R, Rubenfire M. Pulmonary vascular hemodynamic response to exercise in cardiopulmonary diseases. Circulation 2013;128:1470-9.
- Dumitrescu D, Oudiz RJ, Karpouzas G, Hovanesyan A, Jayasinghe A, Hansen JE, Rosenkranz S, Wasserman K. Developing pulmonary vasculopathy in systemic sclerosis, detected with non-invasive cardiopulmonary exercise testing. PLoS One 2010;5:e14293.