Roger J Lewis, MD, PhD
Professor of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Vice Chair for Academic Affairs, Department of Emergency Medicine, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
Member, Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, Washington, DC
Project Director, Electronic Health Record Implementation, Department of Health Services, Los Angeles County, California
Senior Medical Scientist, Berry Consultants, LLC
Clinical research methodology
Research DescriptionDr. Lewis’ areas of interest includes adaptive and Bayesian clinical trials; translational, clinical, health services and outcomes research; emergency department crowding and disaster preparedness; interim data analysis; and the ethics and efficacy of clinical trials. Dr. Lewis’ work with LA BioMed is twofold: he collaborates as a medical expert with Berry Consultants, LLC, a private statistical consulting group that designs and implements adaptive clinical trials; and, he works alongside LA BioMed domaine experts (principal investigators) involved in emergency medicine to provide them with support in the design of their own trials.
- PhD, 1986, Stanford University
- MD, 1987, Stanford University School of Medicine
Recent and/or Significant Publications
- Jung SK, Jeong YH, Lee WJ, Lee C, Kaji AH, Lewis RJ. A survey study of institutional review board thought processes in the United States and South Korea. West J Emerg Med. 2012 Sep;13(4):335-41.
- Santillanes G, Simms S, Gausche-Hill M, Diament M, Putnam B, Renslo R, Lee J, Tinger E, Lewis RJ. Prospective Evaluation of a Clinical Practice Guideline for Diagnosis of Appendicitis in Children. Acad Emerg Med. 2012 Aug;19(8):886-893. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2012.01402.x. Epub 2012 Jul 31.
- Horeczko T, Enriquez B, McGrath NE, Gausche-Hill M, Lewis RJ. The Pediatric Assessment Triangle: Accuracy of Its Application by Nurses in the Triage of Children. J Emerg Nurs. 2012 Jul 23.