Peter Liu, PhD
Professor of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Influence of sleep on metabolic health
Research DescriptionDr. Liu’s research focuses on how sleep and hormones influence metabolic and reproductive health throughout life. This includes understanding the mechanisms that underpin male reproductive aging, as well as male fertility and its regulation. His approach is to use mathematical models and interventional clinical studies to address these questions.
- MBBS (Honours Class I), 1993, University of Sydney, Australia
- PhD, 2003, University of Sydney, Australia
Recent and/or Significant Publications
- Hoyos CM, Killick R, Yee BJ, Grunstein RR, Liu PY. Effects of testosterone therapy on sleep and breathing in obese men with severe obstructive sleep apnoea: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2012 Oct;77(4):599-607. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2265.2012.04413.x.
- Hoyos CM, Yee BJ, Phillips CL, Machan E, Grunstein RR, Liu PY. Body compositional and cardiometabolic effects of testosterone therapy in obese men with severe obstructive sleep apnea: a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Eur J Endocrinol. 2012 Oct;167(4):531-41. doi: 10.1530/EJE-12-0525. Epub 2012 Jul 30.
- Liu PY, Yee B, Wishart SM, Jimenez M, Jung DG, Grunstein RR, Handelsman DJ. The short-term effects of high-dose testosterone on sleep, breathing, and function in older men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003 Aug;88(8):3605-13.