Matthew J Budoff, MD
Professor of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Program Director and Director of Cardiac CT, Division of Cardiology, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
Cholesterol and Cardiac CT Scanning for preventive cardiology, including risk factor identification and modification
Research DescriptionDr. Budoff is a national expert on Coronary Artery Calcification (CAC) and CT Angiography. He is recognized as a leader in the development of CAC Scoring and an innovator in the non-invasive objective detection methods for cardiac disease. He is an investigator in many large pharmaceutical trials and multicenter studies funded by the National Institutes of Health.
Dr. Budoff’s research is devoted to advancing procedures that can help doctors identify patients early that are at high-risk for cardiac events and progression of coronary calcium. This early detection can lead to patients being placed on the correct therapeutic path to prevent a heart attack. Additionally, Dr. Budoff’s research focuses on how to maximize the utility of non-contrast CT scans of the heart. His team has shown that supplementary measurements can be evaluated for thoracic aortic calcification, aortic valve calcification, mitral annular calcification, pericardial fat, liver fat, myocardial scar and bone density.
- BS, 1986, University of California, Riverside, CA
- MD, 1990, George Washington University, Washington, DC
Recent and/or Significant Publications
- Budoff MJ, Malpeso JM, Zeb I, Gao YL, Li D, Choi TY, Dailing CA, Mao SS. Measurement of Phantomless Thoracic Bone Mineral Density on Coronary Artery Calcium CT Scans Acquired with Various CT Scanner Models. Radiology 2013;267(3):830-6. doi: 10.1148/radiol.13111987. PMID: 23440323
- Budoff MJ, Liu S, Chow D, Flores F, Hsieh B, Gebow D, DeFrance T, Ahmadi N. Coronary CT angiography versus standard of care strategies to evaluate patients with potential coronary artery disease; effect on long term clinical outcomes. Atherosclerosis. 2014 Dec;237(2):494-8. doi: 10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2014.09.038. PMID: 25463080
- Budoff MJ, Young R, Lopez VA, Kronmal RA, Nasir K, Blumenthal RS, Detrano RC, Bild DE, Guerci AD, Liu K, Shea S, Szklo M, Post W, Lima J, Bertoni A, Wong ND. Progression of Coronary Calcium and Incident Coronary Heart Disease Events: The Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;61(12):1231-1239. doi: 10.1016/j.jacc.2012.12.035. PMID: 23500326
- Budoff MJ, Bloom SA, Chow BJ, Chandler AB Jr, Cole JH. Coronary computed tomography angiography predicts subsequent cardiac outcome events: results of the Visipaque CCTA registry study. Coron Artery Dis. 2015 Jun;26(4):301-7. doi: 10.1097/ PMID: 25831222