Loren G Miller, MD, MPH
Associate Chief, Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
Professor of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Community-Associated MRSA Infections; MRSA, Skin and Urinary Tract Infections; Health Services Research - Infectious Diseases
Research DescriptionDr. Miller is an infectious diseases specialist who has played a key role in numerous investigations relating to community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA) – that is, MRSA infections contracted in the community. He also has led or participated in investigations related to management, prevention or outcomes in persons with skin infections, urinary tract infections, HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis C, Hepatitis B, and tuberculosis.
Dr. Miller leads the Harbor-UCLA Infectious Diseases Clinical Outcomes Research Unit (ID-CORE), a burgeoning research group that specializes in data collection, data management and data analysis for important infectious diseases. He has been the Principal Investigator or Co-Investigator on many investigations and clinical trials sponsored by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), and other governmental research agencies.
- MD, 1992, Columbia University of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY
Recent and/or Significant Publications
- Miller LG, Daum RS, Creech CB, Downing MD, Eells SJ, Pettibone S, Hoagland RJ, Chambers HF. Clindamycin versus Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole for Uncomplicated Skin Infections. New England Journal of Medicine 2015; 372:1093-103. PMID: 25785967.
- Miller LG, Eisenberg DF, Liu H, Chang CL, Wang Y, Luthra R, Wallace A, Fang C, Singer J, Suaya JA. Incidence of skin and soft tissue infections in ambulatory and inpatient settings, 2005-2010. BMC Infectious Diseases, 2015:15:362.
- Miller LG, Eells SJ, David MZ, Ortiz N, Taylor AR, Kumar N, Cruz N, Boyle-Vavra S, Daum RS. Staphylococcus aureus Skin Infection Recurrences among Household Members: An Examination of Host, Behavioral, and Pathogen Level Predictors. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2015;60:753–63.
- Wooten D, Kahn K, Grien G, Eells SJ, Miller LG. Guideline-Based Antibiotic Prescription, Medical Complexities and Physician Prescribing. J Hosp Med 2015;10:446-52.