Janos Porszasz, MD, PhD
Adjunct Professor of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Technical Director, Rehabilitation Clinical Trials Center, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
Exercise and Pulmonary Physiology, Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing (CPET), Respiratory and Rehabilitation Medicine
Research DescriptionFor the past 15 years Dr. Porszasz has been the technical director of the pulmonary function and exercise physiology laboratories in the Rehabilitation Clinical Trials Center at LA BioMed at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. The center is specifically designed to enable multiple trials being conducted concurrently from NIH supported single and multicenter studies, industry sponsored clinical trials and different physiologic studies (“Home Grown Research”). All trials concentrate on furthering the diagnosis and therapy of chronic pulmonary diseases, with a primary focus on Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). Many of these studies emphasize pulmonary function and exercise testing as well as rehabilitative exercise training.
Dr. Porszasz is involved in several multicenter trials conducting the quality control across all laboratories of the exercise studies. Additionally, he has extensive experience in the above areas including rehabilitative exercise training in COPD and PAH patients and has been involved in several studies addressing gas exchange kinetics.
- MD, 1976, Medical University of Pécs, Hungary
- PhD, 1996, National Academy of Sciences, Budapest, Hungary
- US Patent #7628732: Exercise Test Speed and Grade Modification (December 8, 2009)
- US Patent #7927251: Exercise Test Speed and Grade Modification (April 19, 2011)
Recent and/or Significant Publications
- Hansen JE, Porszasz J, Casaburi R, Stringer WW. Re-defining lower limit of normal for fev1/fev6, fev1/fvc, fev3/fev6 and fev3/fvc to improve detection of airway obstruction. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases: Journal of the COPD Foundation 2015;2:94-102.
- van der Vaart H, Murgatroyd SR, Rossiter HB, Chen C, Casaburi R, Porszasz J. Selecting constant work rates for endurance testing in copd: The role of the power-duration relationship. Copd 2014;11:267-276.
- Porszasz J, Rambod M, van der Vaart H, Rossiter HB, Ma S, Kiledjian R, Casaburi R. Sinusoidal high-intensity exercise does not elicit ventilatory limitation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Exp Physiol 2013;98:1102-1114.
- Porszasz J, Cao R, Morishige R, van Eykern LA, Stenzler A, Casaburi R. Physiologic effects of an ambulatory ventilation system in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2013;188:334-342.