Christina Chung-Lun Wang, MD
Professor of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Assistant Dean, Clinical and Translational Science, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Associate Director, UCLA Clinical and Translational Science Institute at Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
Male Reproductive Medicine and Biology, Male Contraception, Androgens, and the cytoprotective peptide Humanin
Research DescriptionDr. Wang is a renowned andrologist/endocrinologist, clinical and basic investigator and educator. She is an internationally recognized investigator in male reproductive medicine and biology, leading the efforts to develop a safe, effective and reversible hormonal male contraceptive and optimal methods of male hormone replacement therapy.
Dr. Wang’s research focuses on male reproduction with topics that incorporate basic as well as translational and clinical research. Her lab studies the mechanisms and signal pathways of germ cell apoptosis, the hormonal regulation of spermatogenesis, androgens and the prostate, reproductive toxicology, Klinefelter’s Syndrome and its animal models, hormonal measurements and semen analyses methods. Clinically, Dr. Wang has been involved with studies on male contraception development, and androgen action, metabolism and replacement.
Additionally, her lab is currently focused on the cytoprotective action of the peptide, humanin, to prevent onco-infertility induced by chemotherapy occurring in cancer survivors.
- MB, BS, 1968, University of Hong Kong, Pok Fu Lam, Hong Kong
- MD, 1974, University of Hong Kong, Pok Fu Lam, Hong Kong
- FRACP, 1975, Royal Australian College of Physicians, Sydney, Australia
- FRCP, 1988, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow, U.K.
Recent and/or Significant Publications
- Lue Y, Swerdloff R, Wan J, Xiao J, French S, Atienza V, Canela V, Bruhn KW, Stone B, Jia Y, Cohen P, Wang C. The Potent Humanin Analogue (HNG) Protects Germ Cells and Leucocytes while Enhancing Chemotherapy-induced Suppression of Cancer Metastases in Male Mice. Endocrinology. 2015 Sep 18 :en20151542. [Epub ahead of print].
- Jia Y, Ohanyan A, Lue YH, Swerdloff RS, Liu PY, Cohen P, Wang C. The effects of humanin and its analogues on male germ cell apoptosis induced by chemotherapeutic drugs. Apoptosis, 2015; 20(4):551-61. PMID: 25666707.PMCID: PMC4351164
- Swerdloff RS, Pak Y, Wang C, Liu PY, Bhasin S, Gill TM, Matsumoto AM, Pahor M, Surampudi P, Snyder PJ. Serum Testosterone (T) Level Variability in T Gel-Treated Older Hypogonadal Men: Treatment Monitoring Implications. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2015 Jun 29:JC20151542. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 26120790.
- Cunningham GR, Stephens-Shields AJ, Rosen RC, Wang C, Ellenberg SS, Matsumoto AM, Bhasin S, Molitch ME, Farrar JT, Cella D, Barrett-Connor E, Cauley JA, Cifelli D, Crandall JP, Ensrud KE, Fluharty L, Gill TM, Lewis CE, Pahor M, Resnick SM, Storer TW, Swerdloff RS, Anton S, Basaria S, Diem S, Tabatabaie V, Hou X, Snyder PJ. Association of sex hormones with sexual function, vitality, and physical function of symptomatic older men with low testosterone levels at baseline in the testosterone trials. The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism. 2015;100(3):1146-55. PMID: 25548978.PMCID: Pmc4333035